We’re at Natural Products Expo West this week, checking out the innovations in the natural food industry and learning about the future of food. Here are nine trends from Expo West:
1. Sugar Vilified. Natural products are axing white sugar, using low- or no-calorie sweeteners like stevia and monk fruit.
2. Healthy Fats. The fat-free era is gone; today’s products include full-fat ingredients, like ghee and avocado oil.
3. Eat More Plants. Natural brands ate using more plant-based products with fruits and vegetables instead of meat.
4. Healthy Microbiome. Gut health is big, and natural products are focusing on probiotics and prebiotics.
5. Endocannabinoid System. Brands are experimenting with CBD, hemp and the encocannabinoid system.
6. Nutrition Meets Convenience. Products are adding extra nutritional value – and focusing on grab-and-go convenience.
7. Responsible Sourcing. Transparency is vital to consumers, and brands are sourcing quality ingredients and trade relationships.
8. Responsible Packaging. Single-use plastic packaging is out; products today are put in reusable and compostable packaging.
9. Updating Stale Categories. The pantry is getting an overhaul with better ingredients for classic items.
Read more (New Hope Network)